You may have wondered often about all the cool music that many YouTubers and gamers playing through a mic and producing all sorts of interesting sound effects.
You may have even searched for ways to find how to play music through your own microphone too, and you must have come across several high-profile and expensive audio-mix software that can allow you to play music through a mic. But did you know that you do not need to spend a lot of money to achieve this?
You can use some very basic and simple methods to play music through a mic just like a pro!
Methods that can help you find out how to play music through the mic on your own device:
There are several ways to transmit various sounds through your device’s microphone, and some of them are as follows:
METHOD #1: How to Play Music Through Mic in Windows 7,8, and 10?
- Go to Control Panel on your Windows.
- Now click on Hardware and Sound.
- From there, select the option of ‘Manage Audio Devices.’
- Now right-click on your Default Microphone.
- Disable your default microphone.
- Now right-click on Stereo Mix.
- Make it your default output for the device.
- Go to the microphone again and right-click it.
- Choose the microphone as your default audio input.
You can easily start using this changed setting to transmit sounds through the microphone of your device while indulging in online games or during live streaming sessions.
There is a possibility that you do not find the option of a Stereo Mixer in your device. This mostly happens when you do not have a soundcard installed.
So, in order to avail of this method, you will have to install a soundcard on your device.
METHOD #2: How to play music through a mic in the form of a virtual audio cable:
If you are trying to find out how to play music through a mic through this method, it requires you to install a virtual audio cable along with a soundboard.
There are many online sources from where you can download both these things for free. However, just like for every free software, you will have to be careful about some potential viruses and threats that may come attached with the free virtual audio cable and soundboard.
A virtual audio cable is something that you need to configure in your computer system’s input and output methods. If this virtual cable is properly configured with the soundboard, the computer will start seeing it automatically.
The idea of this virtual cable is based on the Daemon tools that are used to create a virtual CD or DVD for the execution of .lso files when a real CD or DVD unit is absent.
On the other hand, the soundboard works as a sound transmitter that allows the transmission of sound through the mic of your device.
Now, in order to make your PC understand that this software will work as your microphone, you will have to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the Windows recording settings.
- Now go on the ‘Recording’ tab.
- Click on ‘show disabled device’ from this tab.
- Enable your virtual audio cable as the default output.
- Repeat the same steps on the playback wall.
- Go to your PC’s settings.
- Set virtual audio cable as your PC’s or laptop’s default audio output source.
Now, for the configuration of the soundboard, you will have to take the following steps:
- Go to the soundboard settings.
- Now set the virtual audio cable as input.
This step will ensure that your virtual mic is connected with the soundboard.
Now, you can transmit any sound that you want while being involved in online video games or are busy in-game live streaming. You can control all types of sounds for your audience through your microphone, and this is surely an amazing experience that will make you feel like a pro.
With this method, people will be able to hear you talk and run sounds through your microphone, but you will not be able to hear yourself.
While transmitting various sounds via mic, your audio will be audible for the other players only.
METHOD #3: How to play music via mic with the help of software?
There are many types o software that can be used to transmit sounds via the mic of your device. However, one of the best software is the Voice Meeter Software.
- First of all, download The Voice Meeter Software or any other software of your preference.
- It is free over various online sources. However, it is always advisable that you download the software from its official website only so that it is authentic, legal, and free of all malware. This software will act as the audio tool of your PC just like a virtual audio cable does. It then reproduces the sound by producing an audio input and output within your computer.
- Download a soundboard too.
The soundboard acts as a connector between your Voice Meeter or similar software that you download and the audio of your device.
- To configure the soundboard, go to the Soundboard settings.
- Now choose the software as your soundboard’s output.
- Now, you have to ensure that the software is set up as the default audio input as your microphone.
- To set your downloaded software as your default voice application, you will have to open the application in which you want to run various sounds through the microphone.
This can be any type of application such as a video game, Skype or some other chat app, recorder, or anything else according to your preference.
- Go to the settings of your desired application.
- Now choose your downloaded software like The Voice Meeter.
- Select it as your default audio input for that application.
This step will let you produce sounds and various effects easily through your device’s microphone.
This method allows you to transmit and run sounds without any particular troubles, and it will also help other players hear your sounds. You will also be able to hear what you say through the music you play.
METHOD #4: Using the unconventional speakers’ method:
This is by far, one of the easiest methods to transmit sounds and voices through the microphone of your device with the help of the unconventional speaker method.
However, you must know that the sound you emit through this method will produce a very poor quality of audio, and the people or other gamers who listen to it may feel bad about it as it may cause a lot of noise for them.
If you still think that it is not a major problem for you or the receivers of this audio, then you will have to take the following steps to start with this method.
- First of all, if you are using headphones or earphones, you will have to ensure that they are near your computer and are closer to the speakers.
- It is better to have a separate mic for this purpose though as you can easily keep it in place near the speakers.
- Now, you will have to connect your speakers to an audio source, like an iPod.
This connection of your speakers with an outside audio source will help you build a direct connector system.
- Now, when you play an item on your iPod, the speakers will transmit it, and the microphone lying close to it will catch the sound.
So, while playing a game or chatting or live streaming, when you are speaking to someone over a microphone, that person will be able to hear the sound media playing through the mic too.
However, as mentioned above, the voice quality will be poor, and the quality of your mic will not have any significant effect on the audio quality in any case.
This method is easy and involves just some very basic steps that require no prior software downloading and installation. So, in this perspective, it is a very safe method too for playing sounds of all types through the mic.
But if your and your friends with whom you want to share this experience while playing online videogames or live streaming are not overly concerned about the noises that your mic will catch and relay to them from your surroundings, then you can opt for this method any day and any time. But if your friends are worried about all the background noise and disturbance, then this method is not at all ideal for you.
However, if you buy a voice amplifier of good quality, it may help you in the filtering of all such noise and background sounds.
METHOD #5: Using a voice changer software:
There are many voice changer applications like MorphVox Pro that come along with their sound pad. These applications can be easily downloaded from their commercial sites.
The idea is that this voice changer application will be able to act as a sound enhancer, and it will also work to modulate the tone, pitch, and background noises from the user’s end.
So, what you need to do is to:
- First off, download a good voice changer application like MorphVox Pro.
- Now, in your system, you will have to connect your mic to this application in order to play sound through your mic.
- When you connect your microphone to the app, it will automatically ensure if the connection has been properly made or not.
- Then, you will have to go to the Audio Settings.
- Look for the option of Hidden Connections.
- Click on the Hidden Connections.
- Here, you will see a microphone option.
- Select it to complete the connection between the microphone and the voice changer application.
- Now, as previously explained, you will have to go through the configuration process.
You are supposed to choose your mic as your default option in the output audio source.
By properly following through all the necessary configuration protocols, you will be able to transmit the music and sound that you want to relay through your device’s microphone.
You can use any of the above-mentioned methods, and there are many varieties of software available that you can use for this purpose. However, while free downloading and installation, you must ensure that the site from where you download any software is authentic and legal. In many countries, using pirated or free software is illegal, and sooner or later, it has a negative effect on your computer system.
These free sites are prone to a lot of cyber vulnerabilities as mentioned above, so you must exercise a lot of caution while downloading them and using them on your computer system.
All these methods work perfectly fine if you get the configuration of the software and the soundboard correctly, and if your microphone is properly connected.
You can start online gaming like a pro with all the desired sound effects now, without any problem!