Every electronic device needs an internet or network connection to work properly. If you currently own a laptop, or a smartphone or a tablet or even a pc, you will be connected to the internet network using a WIFI connection or using a wired ethernet connection on your windows. There is a bigger chance that you will be using your internet network through the wireless connection on your windows rather than plugging in the ethernet cable. WIFI is easy to use, you do not need any wires connected to your windows laptop or pc to connect your windows to the internet network. Once you allow your device to remember the WIFI password it is stored in it so you can connect your windows to the network to it anytime you want.
If you are on windows 10 and you do not remember your network password but you need it to connect your windows to the network or connect a new device or tell it to your friend or new roommate or you are at your friends and you want to connect your 10 phone or windows laptop to his internet network connection but he is not around and all you have is windows laptop. Here we have the guide on how to find ethernet password on windows 10. You can follow the steps below to find the network password with ease.
Methods on how to find ethernet password on windows 10
There are many methods to find the network password on windows to connect your other devices to the same network such as using the network settings available on your windows 10 laptop or 10 pc, or using the command prompt to feel like a hacker and get the network password out, or by using a third-party password revealer. All the methods are listed down below.
Here are a few methods that can help you want to connect your windows 10 to the network:
Method #1: Finding the password using Network and Sharing center
If you have a windows laptop which is connected to the internet and you want to connect to the same WIFI connection, you can follow these steps to find the password of the WIFI connection:
- Turn on the Windows laptop or windows pc which is connected to the network
- Using the windows key search for the windows network and internet settings.
- Once you open the windows and network and internet settings go to the change adapter settings
- This command will open up a new window which will show the WIFI network connection
- Now open the connection settings and click on the wireless properties
- Windows will now display a popup window with the wireless network properties of the WIFI you are connected too.
- Now from that window click on the security tab to open the security of your network
- Click on the reveal password to display the password. The password will now be displayed in the network security text box
Here you have it, now you can easily connect more devices to your WIFI network. Make sure you remember the method or the password so next time when you want to connect your windows 10 to the network or someone asks you the password you would know how to find it.
Method#2: Using the control panel to view the password
What if you are unable to access the windows settings or you just want a quicker way rather than going deep into the network and sharing settings? Here is a quick and short way to change or find the wireless router password to connect to the network:
- Open the run dialog box by pressing both Windows + R key
- In the run dialog box type “ncpa.cpl” and press the ok button
- This will directly open the network connection windows and you can view your WIFI network here
- Now right click on the wireless network settings and scroll down and click on the status button.
- Open the wireless properties and navigate to the security tab.
- Click on the check box and show characters
- Here you will find the password to your wireless
Now you can easily copy the password somewhere and use it on your other devices. Make sure you remember the method or the password so next time when you want to connect your windows to the network or someone asks you the password you would know how to find it.
Method#3: Finding the saved WIFI passwords via Command Prompt
If you are technology expert or you want to show off your coding skills to your friends to find the password of their WIFI using the command prompt. This is how you can appear skillful in front of your friends and retrieve their WIFI password using the command prompt:
- Turn on the Windows laptop or windows pc which is connected to the internet
- Using the windows key search for the command prompt
- Now right click on the command prompt and open it using the admin privileges
- After allowing the admin privileges, type this command in the windows “netsh wlan show profile” This command will show you all the previously connected WIFI connections
- Now find the currently connected WIFI
- After you find the WIFI name type in this command to find the password “netsh wlan show profile [wifi-name] key=clear.” Replace the WIFI name with the real WIFI
- Now under the settings your password will appear right next to the Key content
Now you can easily use the password and connect as many devices you want to the wireless connection. Make sure you remember the method or the password so next time when you want to connect your windows to the network or someone asks you the password you would know how to find it.
Method#4: Using the Router web interface to find the wireless password
You can also find the password of the wireless network connection using the router web interface. If you are connected to the WIFI and have access to the router web interface you can easily take the password out.
- You need to log in to the router using a web browser.
- Open the web browser and enter either one of these “192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1”
- Try any one of these and it should open the wireless router web interface.
- On the home page you will be greeted by popup window asking for a password and a username
- By default, the username and password are admin so enter the password and username
- After that, search for the WIFI or wireless connection settings
- In the settings you will find the password under the router
You can change the password or copy it so you can remember and connect future devices on the same wireless internet. Make sure you remember the method or the password so next time when you want to connect your windows to the network or someone asks you the password you would know how to find it.
Method#5: Using third party software
If you do not want to use the command prompt way or the router web interface way, there are third party software available on windows that can help you reveal the password of the network on windows 10. A simple google search will reveal all the names of the third-party software that let you reveal the password of the network on your windows 10 laptop. You have to install the software like any other software and follow the instructions to find the password of the network on your windows laptop.
Method#6: Locating the password on the back of the router.
If you still are using the default password provided to you by the ISP you are in luck as you can find the password written on the back of the router. You just need to flip the Wireless router over and you will find the password written on the back of the router. Now all you need to do is copy the password and use it on any of your other devices whether it is a phone or a windows laptop.
Method#7: Resetting the router
If it is your own router and you are unable to find the password using any of the above techniques or can not remember it either the last resort is to reset the router. Resetting the router will reset the settings and all the other necessary settings which makes the wireless router work. The easiest way to reset a router is to press the reset button on the back of the router. Usually, it is a small button which you can only press using a pin or a needle. Get a pin or a needle and press the reset button for 5-10 seconds. The network router will restart and will be set to its default settings. You can then call the ISP and ask them to guide you on setting up the router so you can connect to the network. In the settings you can then set a new password and use the password to connect to the network on your windows 10 laptop or to your other electronic devices which you use the internet on. You can also use the ethernet cable to connect to the network but the ethernet cable is not available all the time and with the ethernet cable you will be bound to one place.
We have discussed different methods of finding the WIFI password if you forgot the password or if you want to use the WIFI to connect your windows to the network.