All Apple devices that have been developed post-2010 come with alphanumeric serial numbers having twelve digits. The first three digits usually represent the location where the device or Apple product was manufactured, the next two digits signify the year and week they were manufactured. The next three digits are a unique identifier and the four digits that come in the end signify the number of the model of the product.
Every Apple product has a unique serial number that helps you to be able to replace that product if it is broken or goes missing. Like all the products by Apple, AirPods also have their own serial number which is preferable to locate and jot down somewhere safe.
When you buy the AirPods, Apple encourages you to connect your AirPods with your iPhone or iPad by registering them through their Apple ID. If you lose your Airpods, through the ‘Find My iPhone’ service, you can locate them in association with your device. Also, if your AirPods get damaged, you can replace them through both their Apple ID as well as their Serial Number.
Now, there are different ways to locate the serial number of your AirPods.
Different ways about how to find AirPods serial number?
Method #1 : Through the original packaging box:
This is one of the most basic ways about how to find AirPods serial number? If you have the original packaging box of the AirPods, all you need to do is:
- Tilt the box.
- Find the number printed on the box alongside other details. Usually, it is printed right next to the barcode.
Method #2 : Through the invoice or the original receipt:
The invoice or the receipt when you purchase an Apple product from an authentic Apple dealer also contains the serial number of that product. So, when you are trying to find the serial number of your AirPods, try to look through its invoice or original receipt of purchase.
Method #3 : On the charging lid:
For AirPods and the AirPods Pro models, the AirPods share the serial number with their charging case.
If you are trying to find a way about how to find AirPods serial number there, all you need to do is:
- Take out your left AirPods from the charging case.
- Check the underside of the lid of the charging case.
- You will find the serial number typed in very minute print.
- Copy it from there, or if it is not visible, then perhaps you can take a picture of it from your iPhone and then zoom it. Once the number is visible, just copy it down anywhere and keep it safe.
Method # 4 : Detaching the magnetic cushion:
If you own AirPods Max, then you can find the serial number of your AirPods by the following method:
- Detach the left magnetic ear cushion.
- Underneath it, you will find the serial number printed.
- Copy it down for safekeeping.
Method #5 : Through the Settings of your iPhone:
For this method to work, your AirPods must be connected with your iPhone via Bluetooth.
All you need to do is:
- Go to the Settings of iPhone.
- Click on Bluetooth.
- Look for your AirPods in the list of the devices connected with your iPhone through Bluetooth.
- Once you locate your AirPods in the list, click on the ‘Information’ button right adjacent to your AirPods.
- In the information section, you will find the serial number of your AirPods.
Method # 6 : Through the General Settings of the iPhone or iPad with iOS earlier than iOS 14:
If your iPhone or iPad has an earlier software version or the operating system earlier than iOS or iPadOS 14, then you can locate the serial number of your AirPods through the settings of your device by following these steps:
- Go to the Settings of your device (iPhone or iPad.)
- Go to the General section.
- Now click on ‘About.’
- Once you are in the About section, just scroll down the list of items until you come across your AirPods.
- Click on them, and from there, check out their Information.
- The serial number of your AirPods will be available there.
Special instructions for AirPods 2nd Generation and AirPods Pro:
If you own either of these AirPods, you will find that each of these AirPods also has its individual serial number which is usually printed on the AirPod itself.
Now, if any problem occurs with your AirPods or their charging case, you will need to send them for service. Make sure that you send your Apple products for servicing to an authentic Apple service center. Anyway, in the case of sending your AirPods 2nd Generation or AirPods Pro for service, you may get confused as to which serial number you must to the service center.
So, here is a point to remember. In such cases, you always refer to the serial number that is printed on the inner lid of the charging case or the wireless charging case, as that is considered as their Primary Serial Number. For servicing etc., you do not need the serial numbers printed on your AirPods individually.